Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Sangria


♪Oh Sangria, you are a friend of mine ♫...I know, I know...the song says "Jose Cuervo", but this stuff is way better. Here's the recipe for the Sangria I made for Mitch and Laura's party on Saturday, originally from Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond, but skewed a bit here and there to make it mine. I thought it was pretty "boozy" (I KNOW! IMAGINE THAT!), but my taster was a bit off this weekend with a head cold. I wanted to add lemon-lime soda, but Becky said, "Uh uh. No way. This stuff is perfect like it is." Sooooo, it was left alone, and was actually darn good.

 
These may not look like sangria ingredients to you, but to me, they were perfect! Why use only wine?!

Lots and lots and lots of fruit: oranges, pears, Granny Smith apples, lemon and lime.

Ahhhhh! Liquid gold! Just like the Beverly Hillbillies ; ) All that fruit soaked for hours, and made the concoction very merry!

Terry's Christmas Sangria
1~ 1.5 liter bottle of Pinot Noir, chilled
2~ 1.5 bottles of Pinot Grigio, chilled
1~ cup orange vodka
1~ cup lemon rum
1/2~ cup of triple sec (even tho the lady at Walgreen's liquor called it "triple sex")
1/2~ 1 cup sugar
1~ cup water
1~ quart sparkling mineral water
2~ navel oranges, sliced thin 
2~ lemons, sliced thin
2~ limes, sliced thin
2~ Granny Smith apples, sliced thin
2~ Bartlett pears, sliced thin

In a small pan, bring the water to a boil and add sugar (you've just made "simple syrup"!). Stir till melted. Let cool. In a LARGE glass jar (I bought this one at Walmart in the kitchen aisle; it's called a glass canister, is the largest one, and cost $9.97), add the fruit to the chilled wines and liquor. Add cooled sugar water. Let it get friendly in the fridge for a few hours, and serve ice cold. Ohmygosh! This should serve approximately...I dunno. We just drank it until it was almost gone. Could be 10 people, could be 30, I'm not really sure. There was a little left, and I'm finishing it now. I'll be taking the fruit in to work for our Christmas breakfast. That's ok, right?! ; )

Enjoy, and Merry Christmas!


Print Friendly and PDF