Monday, January 2, 2012

Cajun Chicken Pasta

Happy New Year!

"2012" has a really nice ring to it...like, "2012 is going to be such a great year!" and "So and so's getting married in 2012!" Or my personal favorite, "2012 is the year I lose 20 pounds!" So even though I've committed once again to eating healthier and losing weight, here's one last yummy chicken and pasta recipe! (I'll make it again for a special dinner) On a side note: one of the most-used casserole dishes in my kitchen is a Princess House "Miracle Chicken" dish (pricey, but well worth the money). I make a whole chicken every one to two weeks (only takes 30 minutes!), pull the meat off & freeze it in small bags to add to meals like this. No muss, no fuss!

Mmmmm! (in this photo, the pasta should be speckled with spices; add more to yours!)

Cajun Chicken Pasta

1 large (each) red & green pepper, cleaned and sliced
1 medium onion, halved and sliced
4-5 cloves freshly pressed garlic
4 plum tomatoes, wedged and seeded (I forgot to add these!) 
1-3 tsp Cajun spice (I only use 1 tsf because of Mr. Sensitive Lips)
1/2 cup dry white wine
14-oz low sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup regular cream
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1 lb hot, cooked linguine
fresh chopped parsley
coarsely grated parmesan cheese

Shake seasoning over peppers, onion & garlic, and cook over medium-high heat in 2 tbls olive oil for 4-5 minutes, until veggies are tender to your liking (we like ours crisp-tender; I also would have added the tomatoes for the last 2 minutes with the pepper and onion...ooops). Remove to plate; add wine & chicken broth to pan, scraping up bits in pan as liquids heat. Reduce heat to low and add cream, slowly bringing to a boil and until slightly thickened (here's where my sauce never thickens, so I add a tbls of flour to 1/4 cup cold water, shake well, and add a little at a time to thicken). Add veggies and chicken to sauce to coat. Add all to warm pasta, cover, and let sit for a few minutes, allowing pasta to absorb some of the cream sauce. Top with parsley and cheese. Wow!
Adapted from Pioneer Woman. Apparently her family loves spicy foods, but one member of our tribe requires very mildly spiced foods ; ) 

From now on, in 2012, you won't see any more of these rich, creamy dishes. Nope. Just healthy vegetable and salad meals. Hahahaha, just kiddin'. I give myself and my willpower at least two weeks. Again.
Here's hoping you stick to YOUR resolutions!


 
Print Friendly and PDF