Monday, February 20, 2012

Happy Mardi Gras, Y'all!

One of my first posts in 2011 was on Fat Tuesday. A whole year has passed, and so much has happened in that (roughly) 365 days! Last year, Mardi Gras was in March; this year we begin Lent in February. Last year, I wrote about doughnuts; this year's post is a throwback to my trip to the Big Easy in '08, with some of my fave pics from the trip, followed by tonight's recipes for tomorrow's Mardi Gras potluck at work.


This is one of my all-time favorite pictures! We were just cruisin' down a side street in the French Quarter when I snapped it.

Hungry beignet-seekers, stacked like cord-wood at Cafe Du Monde. There's not much on the menu; just beignets, chicory coffee and milk! There literally was powdered suger EVERYWHERE!

Me, eating beignets! They really are worth the trip to Cafe! There was a live band playing in the street while we ate! ♥ Check out the haircolor!

At the French Market with my favoritest girls in the whole world!

Brian was our tour guide, and he didn't want us to miss St. Louis Cemetery #1, on the outskirts of the French Quarter. Wow! I'd never seen a cemetery like this! Marie's mousoleum was like no other....

The tomb attracts visitors who draw three "x"s on its side, in the hopes that Laveau's spirit will grant them a wish. Ummm...eeeekkk!

Isn't this crazy?! The tombs were untouched during Katrina. I always pictured cemeteries to have grass...but what do I know?!

These lovely ladies were the reason we were there! GO LADY FLAMES!

Yara & I enjoying fun and frivolity in the Big Easy! (while we watched the girls play ball!) OK, on to present day...

Tonight, Debbie and I made olive tapenade (for the muffalettas) for tomorrow's festivities! It. Was. Fabulous!

This amazing dish is Crawfish Cornbread (thanks to Gayle B. from last year's Mardi Gras shindig; although I skipped the crawfish at $14/lb & used Jack's fresh shrimp!) going into the oven...

The finished product! Mmmmmm ♥ It's loaded with peppers, onion, jalapenos, shrimp & cheese! *sigh* I'm a happy girl now!

Happy Fat Tuesday! Let the fasting begin! ; )
Print Friendly and PDF