Sunday, February 5, 2012

Who Needs Takeout?!

Yummo! The following recipe is eatingwell.com's healthy version of PF Chang's lettuce wrap, along with my slight modifications. I've made a few versions of this, as it's one of my favorite dishes at Chang's, but this one was by far the best. It got a huge thumbs up from Jack & Alex! I made it Friday evening for dinner, and Linds asked me to save some for her since she was coming home the next day; she loved it, too! Did I mention that this is fantastic?!


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 1/2 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 large red bell pepper, finely diced
  • 1 8-ounce can chopped water chestnuts
  • 2 tablespoons prepared hoisin sauce
  • Dash of low sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as cilantro, basil, mint and/or chives
  • 1 carrot, shredded 
  • 1 head Boston lettuce, leaves washed & separated
  • 1 tsp five-spice powder (I didn't have any, so I used 2 tsp fried rice spice, which was perfect)
    Heat sesame  oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add turkey, garlic and ginger; cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until the turkey starts to cook through. Then add red pepper, water chestnuts & carrot (I put these 3 things in the food processor on pulse until they were coarsely chopped) and cook on low for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add hoisin, soy sauce, herbs & rice, and warm (add a splash of chicken or vegetable broth if needed to moisten). Serve in prepared lettuce cups.
    Enjoy~ (if you like spicy, red pepper flakes would be a fabulous addition)
    Print Friendly and PDF