Thursday, April 5, 2012

Jalapeño Popper...Sandwiches!

Jack and I watched a show last season, America's Next Great Restaurant, where contestants tried to win a three restaurant chain with their innovative idea; I loved the guy who wanted to run a gourmet grilled cheese place (I think it's been done, though), because I absolutely ♥ grilled cheese! I'm always looking for new ideas to change up this classic, and I found a winner...a Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese! Anyway, I know it's last minute, but here's an idea for Good Friday's dinner.

Here's the link:

I followed almost every direction; instead of using large slices of pepper, I chopped the sliced, broiled peppers into the sandwich sparingly, because they were, ummm...HOT! But, the heat got lost when it blended with the cheeses, so Alex and I decided to add more (which would have equaled what the recipe actually called for), and the sammies were fabulous! The sourdough bread is a must, and I would say the broiled (rather than just crispy fresh ones) peppers really add the "zip" (like Dad used to say) to the overall yumminess!

These are the complimentary Parmesan Oven Fries:

I don't think I'll make any other kind of "fry" ever! I doubled the seasoning recipe (you can never go wrong with Old Bay!) and made 5-6 potatoes instead of 3. Foozer got me hooked on rosemary potatoes years ago, and it's definitely a winning combination! They would be perfect with any sandwich or meat.

Ok, I'm going to bed. I didn't want you to worry about what you were going to make for dinner on the last Friday of Lent : )
Did my grilled cheese guy win the competition, you ask? Nawww...it was "Soul Daddy". But that food all looked good, too!


Print Friendly and PDF