Monday, May 7, 2012

Hurry! Run to Publix Before Thursday!

How is it that "gallo" is pronounced "guy-o"? (every time I see the word, all that comes into my head is "Gallo" wine, but that's not unusual for me!) Anyway, Publix has an awesome special on avocados this week (10/$10), so I loaded up on them and made this yesterday, as part of a belated Cinco de Mayo dinner. Verdict: fabulous! Jack even liked it, and he doesn't care too much for avocados!


The bowl color is weird with the color of the avocados (as is the background of the blog), but I love it; it's an old school Pfaltzgraff bowl that I bought at an estate sale last month : )


Avocado Pico de Gallo

2 medium ripe avocados, cut into chunks
1 ripe tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 jalapeƱo pepper, seeded & finely chopped
1 small red or sweet onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
juice of 1/2 to 1 fresh lime
kosher salt

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients, tossing gently with a spatula. Cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours* (modified slightly from the original recipe on delish.com)

*In reality, I ate some today as well, tossed with a little chopped chicken from last night's dinner, stuffed into a half pita for lunch, and it was still just as good!
Enjoy!

Print Friendly and PDF