Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Feelin' Old School

This short note accompanied a hand-written recipe for "Pork Kidneys", in an envelope dated January 1, 1974, from Jack's Grandma to his Mom. Mom E. & I went through a stack of old recipe cards last year, and I have yet to make one of these Ehrig family classics. (Ok, I'm gonna be honest, I'm not making the kidneys...) I have a number of these vintage goodies scanned, and every time I look at them, I miss my childhood, my Mom & Dad, and the wonderfulness of good old fashioned cooking. No worries about salt, fat, preservatives or grams of anything; just a fragrant kitchen in a happy home. It seems this note adapted the kidney recipe to a pot roast recipe : )



I love that when Jack's Mom opened the envelope, there were bay leaves inside; we actually had bay leaves in an envelope in our cupboard when I was a kid! And what a way to keep the original recipe to yourself: "I don't know how much sugar, so taste it. It may be 1/4 cup or a 1/2 tsp. I hope it turns out ok". What a hoot Grandma must have been! (and notice that she charged the new pad to the club!) Good one, Grandma W! ♥


Print Friendly and PDF