Sunday, August 28, 2011

Stick to What You Know...

Well, I've made it to day two! I was finally gonna post the long-awaited "Bathrooms of Western
Europe", but maybe that will be tomorrow. Today, I'm sharing tonight's dinner. I was on Facebook (shocker!) yesterday, and saw that last year on this day, I made a post regarding a recipe for Lemon-Thyme Chicken that I found on the break room table, and it had been really yummy. So I dug it out of my handy-dandy homemade cookbook, and made it tonight. After a REALLY frustrating trip to Walmart (one, just because it's Walmart, and two, after we got all the groceries on the belt, the very apolgetic cashier said, "I'm sorry, my register is broken. I'll help you move all your groceries to the next cashier", ugh, really?!), then afterwards to Publix, for good meat & veggies, dinner was born.


The fresh lemon juice & chicken broth gravy. 

Browned chicken breasts, with garlic pepper. 

Fresh diced red taters, thyme, and carrot coins. Gimme a break on the carrots, we were hungry! I had to get this dish movin'!

Fresh sliced garlic on top of all the other ingredients, before adding the browned breasts and peas.

Dinner! Hmmm, I think the only thing missing was wine, so I had a glass instead! ; )
I can't find the recipe online; the magazine was called People Country (?). I modified it a bit anyway, so here's my version:
4 thin, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
juice of one whole lemon
Garlic pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1-14 oz can reduced sodium chicken broth
7 small red potatoes, cut into small chunks
1 1/2 cups carrot coins
3 sprigs fresh thyme, stripped & minced
1/2 bag frozen, small sweet peas
Generously sprinkle both sides of breasts with garlic pepper, and brown 3 minutes on each side in olive oil. Remove from pan, add butter and scrape up brown bits. Add flour to a few ounces of broth, shake and add, along with the rest of the broth & lemon juice, potatoes, carrots, thyme & peas, to pan. Bring to boil, then simmer and top with chicken breasts. Cover and simmer 25-30 minutes until potatoes are soft. Uncover and let sit 5 minutes until broth slightly thickens. Serve.
See ya tomorrow!
Print Friendly and PDF