Monday, March 7, 2011

Borrowed Recipes (are the best. they're already taste tested by someone you know.)

What a great time to get a strawberry cobbler recipe from a friend! I'm such a geek, I even subscribe to texts from Publix so I know when a fresh fruit/veggie is in season. Right now, as any good Floridian knows, Plant City strawberries are in full bloom. Who doesn't love homemade strawberry shortcake?! This is a different twist on shortcake, but just as comforting and yummy. Thanks, Laurie!

Cut the butter into the dry ingredients (did it old school, used two knives)....
When it came time for the buttermilk, I didn't have any on hand. (I know, hard to believe, right?! Doesn't everyone have it in their fridge?) BUT, my fantabulous sister-in-law Robin taught me a quick trick: add 1-2 tablespoons of vinegar to regular milk, and...VIOLA! Buttermilk!
I didn't read the directions closely enough, and added tooooo much buttermilk, so the biscuits were too loose to roll and cut. Soooo, another short-cut (I do these kinds of things ALOT) is to just make "drop" biscuits. These turned out just fine.
Then I made the simple syrup for the strawberries...
Added the strawberries and a few dabs (like Mom used to say) of butter...
Baked the fruit portion of the cobbler in my Princess House oval pan (see, Annie! It's your shout out!!!), then added the biscuits for a few minutes more...

And VIOLA! (I know, but I love that word, too)

Heaven on earth!!! (not quite as good as that Cabernet, but really close) I even served it in my Momma's favorite strawberry shortcake bowl. When I was a kid, during strawberry season (early June) in PA, THAT was dinner. That's it. Strawberry shortcake. 12 kids, 2 parents, one job = dessert as a meal. (kids picked the berries; Mom always hulled them, but we hated that job anyway!)
True love <3.  Just like Mom served up.


Biscuits:
1/3 C. butter
1 ¾ C. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp salt
¾ C. buttermilk
sugar

Heat oven to 450°. Cut butter into dry ingredients with pastry blender
until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in just enough buttermilk so
dough leaves side of bowl and rounds up into a ball. On lightly floured
surface, knead dough lightly 10 times. Roll ½ inch thick and cut into
biscuits with biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle
tops with sugar and bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown.

Cobbler:
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup water
3 cups strawberries, hulled
2 tablespoons butter, diced
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 2 quart baking dish. Combine
sugar, cornstarch, and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly,
until thick and hot. Stir in strawberries, and remove from heat. Pour
mixture into the baking dish, and dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Bake for
20 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from oven and cover top of
strawberries with biscuits. Return to oven and bake until bubbly (10-12
minutes).
Print Friendly and PDF