Thursday, March 24, 2011

Tomorrow's Catholic Dinner

What?! Ok, you can make this no matter what your religion, faith or ideology, but us (we?) Catholics gotta skip the meat on Fridays during Lent. I made these last night, and they were awesome. A main ingredient is breadcrumbs (which Jack doesn't really care for), so I didn't know how well these would go over. He took the first bite and said, "Can we make 200 of these?", which means he really liked them. (he's always looking for a new side dish for the K of C Charity Ball that he cooks for every September) So I thought I would share.




I sauteed a large box of fresh organic spinach with the garlic and onion, even though the recipe called for frozen. This seemed sooo much better. Sorry for the blurry picture, the lense kept fogging up.


Parmesan, Italian breadcrumbs and spices, ready to go. I love the little prep bowls. Also, I cut back on the breadcrumbs (you know why) to 3/4 of a cup. Worked out fine.


I used small red potatoes, and when I went to lightly mash them, the skins kept sticking to the hand masher, so I pulled out pretty much of the skins.


Dump all the ingredients together. It's really that simple. (don't forget the egg)


I mixed until the spinach seemed even throughout the mixture.


Nine griddle cakes. The recipe called for ten. So I changed the nutrition profile a little; too bad.


Nicely browned on both sides. The recipe said to brown them, then put them in the oven to heat through (contains egg) but I kept them in the griddle since I like stuff like this to be really brown. My Dad made THE best potato cakes in the world, which he made really crispy. Lots o' butter in Dad's, but I used oil.


Inexpensive and very good! Love World Market products.


This is Pomi boxed marinara (FANTASTIC!) that I added some extra fresh basil, garlic, peppers and onion to. I had them left over from the weekend's recipes. I asked Publix to start carrying the marinara, because they now carry the Pomi boxed tomatoes. Yay! : )


If this seems like an odd combination to you, it did to me too. But believe me, it really works! Yummm!
Whole foods has a free app for recipes if you're so inclined.



Print Friendly and PDF